Continuing my effort of finding some healthier evening desserts, I knew I needed a fast staple to replace (or more likely, supplement) my favorite French vanilla ice cream recipe. With the honey vanilla Greek yogurt being my favorite flavor, it only made sense to make a sweeter, frozen version as a slightly healthier ice cream alternative.
Even simpler than ice cream, this recipe takes only a few minutes of active preparation making it ideal to make while cleaning the kitchen (my usual method) or cooking dinner. It’s easy to serve and, to me, tastes like summer. While there is no getting around the fact that it’s frozen yogurt, I love the tangy but sweet combination. It definitely won’t be confused with ice cream, but it a wonderful addition to your frozen dessert collection.
I generally enjoy it plain, but is also delicious with fruit topping such as a handful of raspberries or a drizzle of strawberry syrup.
Makes 4-5 cups
32 oz honey vanilla Greek yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
- Whisk yogurt and sugar together until thoroughly mixed.
- Chill in the fridge for half an hour, and then freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. (Also place your freezer-safe bowl in the freezer during this time.)
- Transfer to a freezer-safe bowl, and allow two hours in the freezer before serving.
- I pretty much only buy the Greek Gods brand of Greek yogurt, but I imagine other brands will work just fine.
- If, like me, you accidentally buy honey flavored yogurt instead of honey vanilla flavored yogurt, just add 2-3 tsp vanilla extract and carry on as usual.
- You can use more or less sugar to taste, but I wouldn’t advise using less than 2/3 cup, as it could result in a much firmer texture that is hard to dish.