Hi friends. It’s been somewhat rainy and gray here but I’m sharing a summer treat anyway. This is one of my favorite easy snacks and childhood memories all rolled into one. I’m not sure how often we actually had these as kids, but I remember it being a lot and them being awesome. I still make them semi regularly since they keep in the freezer pretty well.
Peanut butter mixed with honey makes for a sweet flavor without being terribly unhealthy. Plus bananas! Bananas are healthy. Graham crackers aren’t terrible for you, probably, so all in all it’s a pretty solid choice. Protein and fruit, can’t go wrong. The freezer makes these into a fabulous summer snack for a hot day when you don’t want ice cream. Or your parents won’t let you have ice cream, whatever the case may be.
Even though I set my own dessert rules now, I still like these as a healthier alternative without feeling like I’m depriving myself of deliciousness. Nice and cold on a hot day and perfect for satiating a sweet tooth. Yum.
This is a super simple recipe so really there’s not much more to say…other than I suppose if you’re not a peanut butter fan (weirdo) you could use some other kind of nut butter, or I guess Nutella (gross) if you’re into that sort of thing. I typically use roughly a 1-to-1 ratio of peanut butter and honey but it doesn’t really matter that much so long as you end up with about a half cup total, otherwise you won’t have enough for all your crackers. My mom, for example, uses more like a 4-to-1 ratio, so really just go with whatever suits you.
Prepare for hot, lazy days and stick some of these in the freezer now, then later applaud yourself for being so forward-thinking.
PS – If you think of a better name for these, let me know. I was not feeling creative.
Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Treats
Adapted from childhood
Makes about 8 treats
1 package (8-9 sheets) Graham crackers1
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 small (narrow) ripe bananas
- Carefully break Graham crackers into squares. I like to gently press a knife along the perforation to do this cleanly.
- Mix honey and peanut butter together until smooth. Feel free to adjust the proportions!
- Spread honey mixture on one side of all crackers.
- Slice bananas into approximately 1/4″ pieces.
- Top half of the crackers with banana slices and place another cracker on top (peanut butter side down, of course.)
- Carefully wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil2 and place in the freezer several hours, or overnight.2
- Enjoy straight out of the freezer on a hot day.
1 For my British friends, Digestives work great also. Since they are a little thicker, you may want to use more of the honey mixture per
2 Or use plastic wrap and put them all in a freezer Ziploc.